A gin made in honour of a Bristolian legend of old, Thomas Cribb.
Tom Cribb was a bare-knuckle fighter, born on the outskirts of Bristol in 1781. From humble beginnings, Tom fought his way to stardom, gaining support from the masses and friendship of the famous.
In keeping with the 18th and 19th century theme, this gin is based on a Victorian production style and uses a collection of classic botanicals to add flavour- juniper, wormwood, liquorice, hyssop, bay leaf and birch leaf.
Our Upper Cut gin is a navy strength ‘Old Tom’ style of gin, meaning that it has been slightly sweetened after the distillation process. During the 18th & 19th Century, gin production often included ingredients to sweeten the spirit. The sweetening made the gins more akin to the dutch style, but was also used by some to mask dubious production practices. Regardless of the reason, the Old Tom style of gin was incredibly popular among the drinking classes, but has since fallen out of popularity.
As a sweetener, we settled on a minimal mix of sugars with a high molasses content- muscovado and demerara, which adds a slight bitterness to the finish.
- This gin is bursting with autumnal, leafy notes, followed by lemon, citrus and finally spices.
- Juniper Berry, Coriander Seed, Angelica Root, Orris Root,
- Lime Leaf, Lemon Thyme, Lemon Verbena,
- Bay Leaf, Birch Leaf, Sage, Lavender,
Barks and Spices:
- Wormwood, Barberry Bark, Liquorice Root, Allspice Berry, Cubeb Berry, Hyssop.
- Classic or light tonic water,
Bottle Size: 70cl